Thursday 19 July 2012

Barnsdale Garden




Barnsdale Gardens attracts thousands of visitors every year ... and I fully understand why.  We spent a lovely afternoon wandering round the 38 gardens.  By the time we got to the cafe I was desperate to get home and dig up a new flower border! 
The late Geoff Hamilton created the gardens when he worked on Gardeners' World.  I remember as a teenager I switched over whenever that programme appeared on the screen but I would like to see them now! I had a look on You Tube and found a couple of old programmes.  One called Geoff Hamilton's Paradise Gardens (You Tube called it Parade Gardens though) shows him sitting on a rustic bench surrounded by small leafy sticks.  I saw that bench.  It had a sign on it saying it was too dangerous to sit on.  The leafy sticks had become a living arbour towering over it.  Sad to think he imagined it looking like that but didn't live to see it.  He died of a heart attack in 1996.
The Barnsdale borders were stunning and every garden was different.  He left behind a place to give real pleasure to people ... a Paradise Garden.

 Unfortunately I forgot to take my camera.  I took a few pictures with my phone but you can take a virtual tour on You Tube.








It cost £6.50 to get in which I thought was a real bargain.  It is a lovely place to see.  The plants were rather expensive though but the money goes to fund bursaries for young people to study horticulture so it is worth it.
I will definitely be going back ... with my camera next time!

2 comments:

  1. Wow...it looks like a wonderful place to visit...and it's good to know some of the money goes toward a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting the blog. Geoff Hamilton was a name I grew up with - I thought of him as quite boring. Now I have seen what he left behind I appreciate him.

      Delete