Wednesday 4 June 2014

Poisoned Dagger!

We were enjoying afternoon tea in the garden when Andy pointed out a small caterpillar on my arm.  It looked dark and hairy but there was a yellow strip along the top that looked like a smaller caterpillar taking a ride.  I watched it for a couple of minutes as it wandered around my arm then put it on the lawn and thought nothing more about it ...






.... until I was getting ready for bed.  My arm had strange red scratch marks across it. exactly where the caterpillar had been.  Andy said it was a Grey Dagger Moth caterpillar so I looked it up and it turns out those little hairs are full of poison: they break off as it crawls.  Be warned ... I was still marked 24 hours later!



New Comers





3 comments:

  1. I shall keep an eye out for that one. Hairy caterpillars may look cute and furry but those hairs often spell trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nephew stood on a hairy caterpillar a few years back and what a mess it made of the sole of his foot. Taught him not to run about outdoors in bare feet though!
    I hope the mark doesn't hang around too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a similarly hairy caterpillar here that causes severe pain if touched. I hope your arm heals soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete