Friday 27 June 2014

Bugs


 
I'm a real wimp when it comes to killing things.  Some gardeners talk with relish about squashing bugs and salting slugs but I can't do it.  I once found a spider covered in varnish on my newly painted windowsill - I realised he faced an awful death if the varnish set and he was encased inside.  The kindest thing to do was squash him.  Instead I knocked him to the ground and threw water over him in an attempt to wash him clean.  He was swept away and probably drowned!

The first time I spotted a Lily Beetle I was enthralled by its colour. I had never seen a more beautiful bug.  I had absolutely no idea how much damage it was going to cause.  I know now but I still can't kill them.  They are collected up and taken on a short walk to the field.  They don't eat corn so they probably fly straight back to my lilies once I've gone inside.



Another attractive unwelcome visitor is the Harlequin Ladybird.  Farmers in Europe imported them from Asia as natural predators of aphids.  They were VERY effective at reducing the aphid population but they ate lots of other insects too - including other ladybirds!  According to Bill Oddie they are totally out of control and come in at number 7 the Top 10 of  Alien Invaders to Britain.


Harlequin Ladybird Survey is underway to monitor the spread of this insect across the UK.

So what else have we been up to? There is a 40 acre Wild Flower Farm near us - Naturescape - it is lovely to wander round this time of year.  Flowers and insects abound; the pond is patrolled by beautiful dragonflies; the café supplies tea and cake and, best of all, they sell plants.

Broad Bodied Chaser

Broad Bodied Chaser

Common Darter

Broad Bodied Chaser

Four Spotted Chaser


6 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only gardener with an aversion to killing bugs, Patricia. I do try, but with difficulty. Your photographs are stunning! Thank you for your nice comments on my blog. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .... and thank you for returning the favour and coming here :)

      Delete
  2. Again beautiful photos. Strangely I can squish aphids buyt am squeamish over most other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I had yet another aphid infestation on my allotment lupins - strangely lost my aversion to killing the little sods! Good job I didn't have a spray to hand ... chopped the affected flowers off and threw them away then brought all the rest home, washed them and my living room now smells heavenly.

      Delete
  3. I have no problems squishing bugs. I prefer to squish them with gloves on but have been known to squish them bare fingered. We have horrible Japanese beetles and big stink bugs as our invaders. Stink bugs stink if you squish them so I usually flush them or just step on them. Your photos are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you can do it - especially if they smell!

      Delete