Thursday 31 May 2012

End of May


Russian Vine grew all over the front of the house when we moved in.  It is appropriately nick named 'Mile a Minute'.  I pulled it down and planted a honeysuckle.  It took sixteen years to grow big enough to reach the top of the door ... but it has gone mad in the last two years.  I am so pleased with it!  It is going to smell lovely. The one at the back of the garden has been flowering for weeks but we don't get as much sun at the front of the house. 

The London Pride and a couple of creeping plants at the edge of the small pond have done well this month but the star of the show has to be the Aquilegia.


Forget-me-nots are still looking good but, if I want the same show next year, I will have to live with a messy bit for a while as they go to seed before I can pull them up.  The red Oriental Poppies are out in force; the pale pink one is late this year.  It usually blooms at the same time as the Honeysuckle, pink Aquilegia and pink Lupins. They look great with a back drop of pale striped grass. Hopefully it will pop open in the next couple of days.


The Robins have fledged. We woke a few days ago to the sound of baby Robins on the Lane.  The loudest birds at the moment though are the Blackbirds.  They have been nesting in the eves of the house next door, hidden in a massive Clematise.  Unfortunately the Magpies found them so we have had full ariel warfare!  The Blackbirds are winning through at the moment!  I watched the male fly across our garden swearing loudly and looked up expecting to see him attacking a Magpie but he was chasing a Sparrowhawk.  Neighbours from Hell! I think they will be looking for a better location if they brood again this year!   

I was thrilled to see a Bullfinch fly in for a quick visit.  Only our second sighting of one in the garden.  It landed on the rose arch just a few feet away from me.  Brilliant view!

The frogs are still around but they are a lot quieter now the mating is over.  The tadpoles will be busy eating everything they can find (including each other!) in the pond.


This pond iris bloomed this morning.  There are three flowers on it and about twenty buds.  It was so heavy last year it fell over - I hope it is anchored properly now!

The garden and weather are so nice right now the cat is refusing to come inside.

See The Patient Gardener blog for more EOMV posts.

4 comments:

  1. I am having a similar problem with English ivy...it seems to want to creep into the house. I have been pulling a lot of it out. Your poppy has the most gorgeous red color...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. There will be honeysuckle flowers all round the front door when it blooms :)

      Delete
  2. It seems to have been a good year for Aquilegias - I seem to be getting more colours than the usual insipid pink (lovely but rather boring). Your Poppies are looking lovely - red really stands out in a garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. I agree about the success of Aquilegia this year. We live opposite a field and I am trying to cultivate the edge of the Lane with something other than Dandelions so I planted Aquilegia but I have had to dig some up this year as there were so many!

      Delete